Gluten Free Onion Rings
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Bette Hagman pizza/french flour mix (see note; I'm sure any other gluten free "all purpose" flour mix would work well too)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced & separated into rings
- 1/2 cup gf flour (for coating onions)
- oil (for frying; we use canola oil)
- Mix egg, oil, and milk on low speed of mixer for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup flour mix, salt, and baking powder and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Slice onions into 1/4-inch thin rings.
- Coat onions in remaining 1/2 cup flour mix.
- Dip in batter.
- Fry in hot oil (375 degrees, at least 1-inch deep) until desired shade of brown.
Bette Hagman's French Bread/Pizza Mix is as follows (for 6 cups)[br] 3 1/2 cups white rice flour[br] 2 1/2 cups tapioca starch[br] 2 Tbsp Xanthan gum[br] 2 (7-gram) packets unflavoured gelatin[br] 2 Tbsp egg replacer[br] 1/4 cup sugar
Recipe by The Baking Beauties at http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2009/10/gluten-free-onion-rings.html