Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked or canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 8 oz. package cream cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans) or pumpkin seeds to top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/3 cup white sugar until light. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, spices, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, 1 cup white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, and apple sauce.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
- Fill muffin tins (greased or lined with paper cups) half full. Put 1-2 tsp cream cheese mixture in the middle, pressing down slightly.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean from the muffin part (do not touch the cream cheese, it is very hot!).
- Let cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to racks to cool completely.
The flour blend I use is 4 cups superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch (not flour), 2/3 cup tapioca starch. Combine all ingredients in a large zipper-top bag. Shake until well blended.
Recipe by The Baking Beauties at http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2010/11/gluten-free-pumpkin-cheesecake-muffins.html