Creamy Quinoa Apple Crunch
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed & drained if not pre-rinsed)
- 2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 small apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 ounces spreadable cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a medium size saucepan, combine the quinoa, apple juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Over a medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to low, and place the lid on. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- When the quinoa has cooked for about 10 minutes, add the chopped apple to the pot, and give it a quick stir. Put the lid on until the quinoa is finished cooking.
- Transfer quinoa mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cream cheese, 3 Tbsp. of the pecans, lemon zest and maple syrup.
- Divide quinoa mixture between 4 serving bowls, and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, chopped pecans, and caramel sauce. Serve hot.
- Leftovers can be eaten cold the next morning for breakfast as well.
Recipe by The Baking Beauties at http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2011/06/creamy-quinoa-apple-crunch.html