Gluten-free Pumpkin Scones with a Spiced Glaze
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum (UPDATE - I've made with 2 tsp, and it worked GREAT)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 large egg
- egg white or milk to brush the tops of the scones with (optional)
- 1 tablespoon course sugar to sprinkle on the top (optional)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' (or icing) sugar
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dust the parchment paper with brown rice flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, place all of the dry ingredients. Run the processor until the dry ingredients are well blended.
- Add the cold butter, and pulse until butter is cut into pieces, about the size of a pea. Add the pumpkin puree, milk and egg. Run food processor just until dough comes together in a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto the baking sheet. Dust your hands with brown rice flour, and quickly form the dough into a 10-inch circle, approximately 3/4" thick.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 wedges. Carefully move the wedges apart, leaving at least 1" between them so that they will not touch when baking.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk or egg white, and sprinkle with course sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 14-16 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Drizzle with Spice Glaze (see recipe below) and serve.
- Whisk together until smooth. Use a spoon or fork to drizzle the glaze over the top of the slightly cooled scones. Do not stack glazed scones, or the glaze will get squished.
Recipe by The Baking Beauties at http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2012/10/gluten-free-pumpkin-scones-with-a-spiced-glaze.html