Crispy Gluten Free Onion Rings
Author: Jeanine Friesen
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (for dusting the unfried rings)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour (for the batter)
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- canola oil for frying
- Preheat oil in heavy bottomed pot until a thermometer reads 375 degrees F.
- Slice onions into 1/4" slices and separate into individual rings.
- Place 1/2 cup brown rice flour in one bowl.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Whisk together the milk, oil & egg. Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to blend.
- Dip the rings in the dry rice flour, then into the batter, and carefully place in HOT oil. Fry until browned, flipping over once. Keep hot in 275 degree F oven on paper-lined baking sheet. Serve hot.
I use canola oil when deep frying, it tolerates high temperatures very well, and has a nice neutral flavour too, which I like.
Recipe by The Baking Beauties at http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2013/08/crispy-gluten-free-onion-rings.html